Search This Blog

Friday, December 10, 2021

Letters3: Prof. Hoppe's Foreword; Index; comparisons (Part 3 of 5)

Prof. A. F. Hoppe (image: Mezger, Denkstein p 306)
      This continues from Part 2 in a series presenting the St. Louis Edition's Luther's Letters. — The Editor for volumes 21a and 21b was Prof. A. F. (Albert Friedrich) Hoppe who had also edited many other volumes. He began this work in 1886, while Walther was still living, so he would have had at least Walther's approval, if not actually chosen by him. He remained with this task for 25 years, from 1886 to 1911, the year of his passing.
      In the following English translation of Hoppe's Foreword, we can glean what kind of scholarship went into these volumes.  We may then form an opinion on whether modern scholarship's aloof attitude towards the St. Louis Edition is warranted… or not.
Some excerpts from Hoppe's Preface:
— "…we have also followed this example to some extent by including many outside letters."
— "…we have included the letters in chronological order."
— "we are entirely dependent on the editions published in Germany for the reproduction of the letters, since we do not have the sources at our disposal here." [Although Hoppe did not have the source material, his scholarship is extensive. More on that later.]
— "… we have not been concerned solely with enriching Walch's and De Wette's editions, but primarily with correcting both the time indications and the text itself"
— "We have devoted the same effort and care to the German letters as we have to the Latin ones."

Prof. Hoppe's "Foreword" to the first volume of Luther's Letters, Volume 21a:

As mentioned in April this year, I hoped to bring the full digital OCR text of the St. Louis Edition, starting with Luther's Letters, volumes 21a and 21b. This work is necessary because the text of Google Books and HathiTrust is garbled due to the 2-column format, and their OCR "Plain text" does not retain the formatting. In the next Part 4, we begin with Volume 21a. — 
      After the break below, a comparison of a typical letter in 3 different translations: the American Edition (from Latin into English), the St. Louis Edition (from Latin to German to English-by-DeepL), and an abbreviated English translation published in 1913 by Preserved Smith:

I have highlighted a problematic translation by DeepL of the St. Louis Edition and so inserted the original Latin and St. Louis Edition German for comparison. The confusion is easily overcome as the context clearly shows Luther counseling to turn to God for wisdom, not to one's own wisdom.

Am. Ed. (v. 48, 20-23

St. Louis Ed., v. 21a, p. 39-41

Preserved Smith

Greetings in the Lord. I hear with sorrow—as I ought to be sorrowful about hearing such news—excellent fathers and friars, that you live without peace and unity. You live in one house, but you are not of one mind, and you are not of one heart and one soul in the Lord,2 as required by the Rule.3 That way of miserable and useless living comes either from the weakness of your humility—because where there is true humility, there is peace—or it originates in my negligence. As a matter of fact, it must be both your fault and mine, because we do not weep aloud before the Lord who has created us and we do not pray that he make our way straight in his sight and lead us in his righteousness. He errs, he errs, he errs who presumes to guide himself by his own wisdom—not to speak of guiding others. [Latin: Errat, errat, errat, qui suo consilio seipsum, nedum alios praesumit dirigere: Google Translate: He errs, errs, errs, who by his own counsel presumes to direct himself, let alone others] But guidance must be obtained from God by humble prayer and a devout mind, as the Psalm says, “Direct my steps according to your word.”5 And Tobias teaches his son: “At all times praise the Lord and plead with him to guide your ways.”6 Because you have not done this, or you have not done it properly, it is no wonder that you were not directed but rather hindered. What now? Life without peace is dangerous because it is without Christ, and it is death rather than life.


Therefore I am forced to do in my absence what I did not want to do while present.7 Of course I would by far prefer being with you now, but I cannot be. For that reason, receive my order in salutary obedience, if by chance the Lord of peace will deign to work with us. The entire trouble, or rather the root of your disorder, is that you are not in concord with your head, the prior; this is more harmful than if one friar disagrees with another. Therefore, by authority of this office,8 I order you, Friar Michael Dressel, to resign from your office and [surrender] the seal. By the same authority I release you from the office of prior in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. Amen. And since I am absent this letter should have the same effect upon you as I would, were I present.



I do not want you to complain that I have judged you without a hearing, or that I have not accepted your defense. I am completely convinced that everything you did, you did with the best of intentions. Under no circumstances could I think that you have done anything intentionally or maliciously from which disturbance might have arisen. You have done as much as you had grace to do. I thank you for this, and if any of your friars should not show you their gratitude I should be most displeased.

The following should console you. It is not enough that a man be good and pious by himself. Peace and harmony with those around him are also necessary. For the sake of preserving peace, the best undertakings must often be deemed unsatisfactory and be rightly condemned. How much less, then, can undertakings which have not led to peace, though done with good intentions and complete devotion, be considered preferable to peace!

Since the prior is now released from his office, I ask you for the sake of Christ’s mercy to plan immediately and unanimously [the election of the new prior]. Choose three candidates in order of preference, according to the Rule.10 I have often found elections to be useless and votes cast in vain. As a result, [I urge you] to conduct this business sensibly and not to elect anyone who is not eligible [for this office], or have anyone of you even cast his vote for such a man; by this I mean someone who may already have an office or who for other reasons is not eligible. In voting this way one wastes time and effort and the votes are cast in vain. Therefore I would like you to list publicly, before the election, all who are not eligible, so that everyone may know for whom he cannot vote. It would not be wrong if you would also list some [friars] qualified for election for the benefit of any who perhaps do not know who is eligible.

Whomever you might elect, my excellent friars, do this with all deliberation so that you do not search [for the right candidate] by means of your own ability, but as I have already said, ask with constant prayers for the Lord’s guidance. Scripture states, namely, in Jeremiah, “I know, O Lord, that a man’s way is not his own, nor are the steps in which he walks his own.”11 For behold, I declare to you and I predict by this letter that if you will not maintain your Rule by prayers as a trust of God, you will not have peace and favorable results, even if St. John the Baptist were your prior. Everything rests in the hand of the Lord. He who does not believe this will suffer distress and restlessness until he finds out by experience.



I ask you to be diligent and faithful in the training of novices. This is, of course, the first and most important task of the whole monastery, as I have said and stressed during my visit with you.

Farewell, and pray for me and for all of us.

In the monastery at Magdeburg, Friar John Busch, the subdeacon, passed away; at Dresden, the Father Senior, John Kunzel. The plague roars around us, and we daily expect the fate the people of Magdeburg suffer. Therefore pray for us and the brethren at Magdeburg, that the Lord may in mercy call whom he intends to call.

Farewell in the Lord.

From Wittenberg, September 25, 1516



Hail in the Lord! I hear with sorrow, as I am worthy to hear, dear fathers and brethren, that ye live without peace and unity, and, though ye be in one hand, have not one manner, nor, as the rule requireth, one heart and one soul in the Lord. Have one heart and one soul in the Lord. This wretched and useless way of life comes either from the weakness of your humility, because where there is humility there is peace, or from my negligence, or at least from your guilt and mine, because we do not complain before the Lord who made us, nor pray that he may guide our way in his sight, and lead us in his righteousness. 


He who errs, he who errs, he who fails to guide himself by his counsel, much less others, [German: Der irrt, der irrt, der irrt, der sich vermißt, durch seinen Rath sich selbst, geschweige denn andere zu leiten]



but this must be obtained from God by humble prayer and godly disposition, as the Psalm [119:133.] 9) does: "Let my walk be sure in thy word." Thus Tobias taught his son [Cap.4, 20. Vulg.], "Give thanks always to GOD, and ask Him to guide you in your ways." Therefore, because you did not do this, or did not do it rightly, it is not to be wondered at that you were not guided, but hindered. How now? There is danger in a life without peace, because it is without Christ, and is rather a death than a life.


Therefore I am forced to do absently what I did not want to do at the present time, and now I would like to be present extraordinarily gladly, but I am not able to do it. Therefore, with wholesome obedience, accept this decree of mine, whether perhaps the Lord of peace will deign to work with us. For the whole or the chief cause of your confusion is that you are at variance with your head and prior, and this is more harmful than one brother being at variance with another. Therefore, by the authority of my office, I command you, brother Michael Dressel, that you take office and seal. By this authority I also absolve you from the office of a prior, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, amen. And by this letter, as one absent, I will have done to the absent what I would have done presently to the present.

Nor do I want you to complain that I have judged you unheard and have not heard your excuses. For I believe very gladly that all you have done was done in the best opinion, nor can I in any way think that you have done anything deliberately and maliciously to bring about this disturbance; you have done as much as you have had grace to do. For this I give thee thanks, and all thy brethren; if they give thee no thanks, they displease me much.



But this is what must comfort you, that it is not enough for a man to be good and godly for himself, but there must also be peace and harmony of others with him. Often the best works fail, and are justly condemned, that peace may be preserved: how much more are not those to be preferred to peace, which a man hath done in good faith and with all diligence, and yet by the same hath not ministered peace!


Therefore, after the prior has been dismissed from office, I ask you, for the sake of Christ's mercy, to be unanimously careful to elect three in order according to the statutes, namely, so that you do not (as I have often experienced useless elections and futile votes) mention one of them, nor does anyone among you give his vote to one whom one cannot have, namely, one who is already in office or otherwise not available. 1) For if you vote in this way, you lose time and labor, and the votes are given in vain. Therefore it would please me if, before the election, all those were publicly enumerated who cannot be given to you, that every one might know to whom he ought not to give his vote. Nor is it a mistake for you to list some of those who can be given to you.




But whomsoever ye shall choose, do this for him, brethren, with all diligence, that ye entreat, not with your strength, but with continual prayer, as I have said, that the Lord may guide you. For the scripture saith in Jeremiah [Cap. 10:23], "I know, O Lord, that the doings of man are not in his power, neither is it in any man's power how he shall walk, or how he shall direct his course." For behold, I testify unto you by this present writing, and I say unto you beforehand, that except ye obtain a rule over you by prayer of God, ye shall have no peace nor prosperity, even if St. John the Baptist were your prior. All things are in the hand of the Lord; he who does not believe this will have trouble and distress until he learns it.



In the instruction of the young people, I ask you to be diligent and faithful, as in that which is first and highest for the whole convent, as I said and recommended to you when I was present. Be well and pray for me and for all of us. 

In the convent of Magdeburg the brother Johannes de Buscha (Busscha) has died; the Subdiaconus in Dresden, the 2)father senior, Johann Kunzel. The plague is raging all around us, and we daily expect what the Magdeburgers are suffering. Therefore be mindful of us and of those in Magdeburg, that whom He will call away. He will call in mercy. Be at ease in the Lord. From Wittenberg, on Thursday after Mauritius [Sept. 25] 1516.

Brother Martin Luder, temporary [medius] vicar of the Augustinians.


Greeting  in  the  Lord.  I  hear  with  sorrow,  as  I  ought  to hear,  excellent  fathers  and  brothers,  that  you  live  without peace  and  unity,  and  that  in  one  house  you  are  not  of  one mind,  nor  according  to  the  rule  do  you  have  one  heart  and  one soul  in  the  Lord.  This  miserable  and  useless  manner  of  life comes  from  the  infirmity  of  your  humility, — for  where  is humility  there  is  peace— or  from  my  negligence,  or  certainly from  the  fault  of  both  of  us,  that  we  do  not  weep  before the  Lord  who  made  us,  nor  pray  that  he  would  direct  our ways  in  his  sight  and  lead  us  in  his  justice.  


He  errs,  he  errs, he  errs,  who  would  guide  himself,  not  to  say  others,  by  his own  counsel.  .  .  . 


















Therefore  I  am  forced  to  do  absent  what  I  would  not  like to  do  present,  though  I  greatly  wish  I  could  now  be  present, but  I  am  not  able.  Therefore  receive  my  command  in  salu- tary obedience,  if  perchance  the  Lord  will  deign  to  work  his peace  in  us.  For  the  whole  of  your  strife,  or  rather  its  root, is  your  discord  with  your  head,  the  prior,  which  is  more  harm- ful than  a  quarrel  between  brothers.  Wherefore,  by  the authority  of  my  office,  I  command  you.  Brother  Michael  Dressel,  to  resign  your  office  and  seal;  and  by  the  same  authority I  absolve  you  from  the  duties  of  the  priorate,  in  the  name  of the  Father,  and  of  the  Son  and  of  the  Holy  Ghost,  Amen. And  these  letters  shall  have  the  same  force  as  if  I  were  present. 

I  would  not  have  you  complain  that  I  have  judged  you unheard,  nor  would  I  receive  your  excuses.  I  willingly believe  that  you  have  done  all  with  the  best  intentions  in  the world,  nor  can  I  imagine  that  you  have  purposely  and maliciously  fomented  discord;  you  have  done  what  you  had grace  to  do.     For  this  I  thank  you,  and  if  your  brothers  do not  thank  you  they  will  greatly  displease  me.  .  .  .    






















































[Instructions for  electing  a  new  prior.]   .  .  . I  beg  that  you  will  be  diligent  and  faithful  in  the  instruction of  youth,  as  in  that  which  is  the  first  and  main  business of  the  convent.  



It is obvious that Preserved Smith omitted major portions.  One may also compare the slight differences between the American Edition and the DeepL English translation from the St. Louis Edition's German. — In the next Part 4, we begin with Volume 21a. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments only accepted when directly related to the post.