Search This Blog

Saturday, January 16, 2021

2 Bible instructional books - Drewes & Zorn; best of Old Missouri - in English


Christopher F. Drewes; Carl Manthey Zorn (in younger years)
 [2021-01-17: I have been informed that both books are available as reprints – see notes in red]

      Christian education is extremely important, so much so that I would recommend the follow two books as very good instructional resources published by Old Missouri.  Both authors were thoroughly "Missourian", i.e. Biblical, Lutheran.  No Reformed teacher is as good as these teachers. No scholarly teacher of today surpasses them. A bonus is that these books were published in the English language – no translation needed.
      As I was returning to my Christian faith after falling away, I discovered this book and devoured it as a quick way to know and understand the Bible for what it is – God's Book.  From the Foreword: 
“The valuable information contained in this book will add greatly to intelligent Bible-reading in family worship, in schools and Bible classes, and in the private study of Scripture by Bible students. A knowledge of the language, composition, writer, authenticity, and outline of the various books of the Bible as given in this little volume will deepen the interest and add to the understanding of God’s Book.”
It is simply worded, not critical of the Bible text in any way, and imminently qualified for teaching – from youths to adults. It is perfect for parents to use with their at-home children. Drewes ministered to black people during a time when they may have been less educated and so would have needed the basics of Christian teaching in simple language, just as I did 20+ years ago. Even now as I look it over again, I want to stop and read it because it draws me in. — The text of this book may be downloaded as a DOCX file >> here <<. [This book is available from CPH as a Print-On-Demand book here.]
      I ran across this book while researching the publications of Pastor Zorn and determined that it would be an excellent, appropriate instructional text. From the Preface: 
“I have in this book compiled a very brief Bible History and a short exposition of the Catechism, and have given it in the manner in which I have for years instructed adults. I have endeavored to speak simply and intelligibly to everyone. I do not take for granted either human learning or religious knowledge… I have tried to hold the reader’s attention. The Bible History is given in the words of Scripture. The exposition of the Catechism is that of the church of the true faith.”
For those that would like access to the text of this book for ease of translation to another language, they may download the DOCX file >> here <<. [Available as a reprint here on Amazon here]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments only accepted when directly related to the post.